Jerusalem Evangelical Lutheran Church (JELC) is currently searching for a Pastoral Administrative Assistant. The ideal candidate should be energetic, proactive, organized, detail-oriented, and cheerful, with a strong willingness to learn new skills through on the job training and relevant classes/seminars.
JELC has a rich heritage dating back to 1835 and has a diverse congregation of young families, mid-lifers, and seniors. Jerusalem is a congregation with more than just Sunday worship services and Sunday school. JELC has an active group of lay communion ministers that provide visitation and communion to our shut-ins, a vibrant youth program that is active in the local community, and a weekly nursery/daycare (JLNDC). There are also many groups, committees, and activities that are available to the members of the congregation.
- Interact with the Pastor, the Director of Music, congregation members, and others to support the mission of the congregation
- Function independently and as directed to manage routine office operations
- Prepare and compile weekly bulletins, monthly newsletters, special events publications, annual meeting program, and other communications.
- Candidate must also be available to prepare bulletins for unexpected events such as funerals
- Complete various mailings such as special events letters, monthly newsletters, notices, and reminders for greeters, acolytes, communion assistants, and lectors
- Maintain confidentiality of records and sensitive information
- Maintain accurate records of membership, baptisms, weddings, funerals, etc.
- Schedule the use of the facilities, such as; the Youth center, social hall, and meeting rooms
- Support the Pastor and Director of Music with typical office administrator activities
- Perform all other tasks as director by the Pastor
- Computer literate and able to learn new applications with training
- Must be able to prepare and compose typical business letters
- Effective communication; oral, email, and written
- Accurately type at least 50 words per minute
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher – PowerPoint a plus)
- Ability to use Outlook, and in particular, calendar scheduling
- Working knowledge of publishing applications software
- Must have a working knowledge of social media, web applications, search engines, and have the ability to learn how to manage postings to the church’s website and Facebook.
- Organization and strong scheduling ability a must
- Strong math skills is a plus
- Candidate shall have a minimum of a high school diploma. Post high school education a plus.
- Three+ years relevant experience in an office environment or similar work experience.
- Willing to submit to background checks for state and federal child protection laws and be able to obtain the required clearances. All background checks MUST be executed PRIOR to employment.
- Must be able to complete online training and pass testing for Child Mandatory Abuse reporting training. Training must be completed within the first month of employment start date.
- This part-time position offers a flexible work schedule with up to 20 hours of work per week.
- This is an excellent opportunity with great working conditions in a safe and friendly work environment.